- Write your e-newsletter as an email to a favorite client – don’t add graphics, don’t use headers or footers instead just keep it a simple plain text email. You’ll be amazed at the response. This keeps it personal and helps you avoid sounding like a salesman.
- Add a contest or giveaway – give your customers a reason to open these emails, keep it fun.
- Keep it simple, too much information and they will pass it by.
- Make sure you have one goal in mind and create a strong call to action for that goal in a color that stands out – to invite the reader to take action.
- Test it – send it out, look at it on your mobile device and make sure it looks good on a smart phone.
- Pair down the copy – take out all the unnecessary copy, keep it as simple as possible.
- Bold important concepts
- Use strong sub heads to break out copy. Think of those sub heads as headlines and take time to make them catch the eye.
- Send the Enewsletter from a Human Being – instead of sending it from a company name use a real person’s name.
- Use an outside service: I’m still amazed to find clients emailing mass emails from their personal accounts. This is a great way to get your email blacklisted and you won’t have deduping and proper unsubscribes. So most likely, you are not following the law.
100 Spam Trigger Words & Phrases To Avoid
(Note: I am going to assume you are not using words like sex, Viagra and other spam filter trigger words in an honest e-campaign, so obvious ones like that have been intentionally left out of this list.)
Accept credit cards
Can’t live without
Cents on the dollar
Click / Click Here / Click Below
Click to remove
Cost / No cost
Do it today
Free and FREE
Get it now
Information you requested
Investment / no investment
Month trial offer
No Hidden Costs
One time / one-time
Order / Order Now / Order today / Order status
Orders shipped by priority mail
Print out and fax
Save up to
See for yourself
The following form
Work at home
Bottom line: Avoid using these spam filter trigger words in your e-campaign subject line if you can. Be creative, and find a different way to say it!